Wednesday, September 8, 2010

" What's in a name? "

They look like block of wood chips and surprisingly, placed outside the street, to absorb heat of the sun.
Well, these are actually local chinese herbs that can only be find in Chinatown specifically at Chinese drugstores where it's readily available.

Now, the name may sound a bit out of the ordinary, but
It's a common herb called Dong Shan (黨參) or とじん in japanese.
No Filipino term for it unfortunately.

Photobucket

It taste sweet and neutral.
It's mostly concocted with other natural herbs that serves as a tonic or
If you're making a homemade soup or broth, you can just easily add a stick or two.

Dong Shan improves digestive and body function,
it's anti-fatigue as it stimulates the nervous and immune system.

Photobucket

Ps: the shadowy figure is my arm holding out the camera. ^0^

Portishead- Numb

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

8 comments:

  1. Amazing what you can eat and drink and how it may be different from one country, continent, to another! Obiously worth trying. You should always try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. to combat fatigue - i need that!

    hope you are having a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd settle for Dong Shan...

    And I like that shadowy figure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I don't think I have ever eaten them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've sold me — I'll keep this herb in mind next time I go to Binondo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've learned Japanese from you today! Yay! I don't think I've ever seen this before. Love that hand that cleary is pushing the camera button ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting!...you reminded me of my late Lolo, since chinese sya, dami nung ginagamit na mga chinese herbs.

    Yan ang kailangan ko sa super pagod sa night duties.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin